Yield: 4 servings
|¼ pounds||Shelled,cooked tiny shrimp|
|1 cup||Nonfat milk|
|2 \N||Large eggs|
|4 teaspoons||Dry sherry|
|2 tablespoons||Fish sauce*|
|2 teaspoons||Minced fresh ginger|
|1 \N||Garlic clove,minced/pressed|
|¼ teaspoon||Oriental sesame oil (opt)|
|⅛ teaspoon||White pepper|
|1 tablespoon||Sesame seed|
* - NAM PLA or NUOC MAM, or soy sauce.
1. In each of 4 custard cup or bowls (¾ cup size), place ¼ of the shrimp. Set cups in a large baking pan at least 2" deep.
2. In a bowl, combine milk, eggs, sherry, 2 teaspoons fish sauce, ginger, garlic, oil, and pepper; beat lightly just to blend. Pour ¼ of the mixture into each cup.
3. Set pan on center rack of a 325'F. oven. Pour boiling water onto pan around cups to level of custard. Bake until custard jiggles only slightly when gently shaken, 25-35 minutes. Lift cups from pan. Let stand at least 10 minutes. If made ahead, let cool, then cover and chill up to a day.
4. Meanwhile, toast sesame seeds in a 6-8" frying pan over medium-low heat, shaking pan often until seed is golden, about 8 minutes; remove from pan and set aside. Just before serving, garnish custards with sesame seed. Offer warm or cold, with fish sauce to add to taste.
Submitted By MICHAEL ORCHEKOWSKI On 10-23-94