Yield: 1 Servings
|½ cup||Brown sugar|
|2 larges||Egg yolks|
|2 cups||All-purpose flour|
|1 teaspoon||Vanilla extract|
|1||Egg whites (up to 2)|
|1 cup||Your favorite preserves *|
|1½ cup||(approximately) walnuts, chopped fine|
Barbara Wasser's Kosher Kitchen (Adapted from Sadye Klee Hartstein Gardner) Cookie Sheets lined with parchment paper 325 o F Oven 1. In the electric mixer, cream butter and sugar.
2. Add egg yolks and vanilla and mix well.
3. Combine flour and salt and add to the batter, combining to make a cookie dough.
4. Roll into balls.
5. Roll the balls in unbeaten egg white and then in the finely chopped walnuts.
6. Place on prepared cookie sheets.
7. Make hole in balls with thumb, but a thimble works even better.
8. Bake five minutes at 325 degrees F.
9. Remove sheet from oven and indent again.
10. Bake until lightly browned, 10 - 12 minutes more.
* Fill with preserves that have been warmed and processed to make smooth.
(I find that warming the preserves in the microwave and then running them through the processor makes a better product than using jelly.) If jam is available than try that. Also, I have been using the preserves that are all fruit and some brands do have a smoother consistency.
I have never tried to fill with jam half-way through the baking time. Guess I'll have to try that sometime. Yield: approximately 60 cookies Posted to JEWISH-FOOD digest V96 #109 From: swass@... (Barbara & Steve Wasser) Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 18:31:51 -0500