Yield: 10 servings
|1½ cup||Onions -- chopped|
|1 \N||To 2 Garlic Cloves -- minced|
|1 tablespoon||Oil *|
|2 pounds||Ground Beef -- coarsely ground|
|½ teaspoon||Dried Oregano|
|1 teaspoon||Cumin Seeds -- finely ground|
|2 tablespoons||(To 3) Chili Powder|
|2 cups||Tomatoes -- crushed|
|\N \N||Salt -- to taste|
|1 cup||Beef Stock -- warmed|
|⅓ cup||Masa Harina -- (or cornmeal)|
* LBJ preferred bacon drippings.
1. In a large skillet or small stockpot, saute the onions and garlic in the oil over high heat until tender and translucent, about 1 to 2 mins. Add the beef, breaking up any large chunks. Stir it frequently, so it browns thoroughly.
2. Reduce the heat, and sprinkle in the oregano, cumin, and chili powder. Stir again and continue cooking for 3 to 5 mins. Add the tomatoes and the salt.
3. Place the heated beaf stock in a small mixing bowl, and slowly add the masa harina. Stir until blended, then add to the chili. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour. Stir the chili frequently to ensure that flavors mingle.
4. Serve in bowls with a thick-crusted Italian-style bread. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Recipe By : In The Kitchen With Bob (Bowersox) - ISBN 0-688-13797-0
From: Dan Klepach Date: 09-11-95 (14:01) (159) Fido: Cooking