Yield: 1 servings
|1 cup||Warm water|
|\N \N||A; (1/4-ounce) package|
|\N \N||; (2 1/2 teaspoons)|
|\N \N||; active dry yeast|
|2 \N||3/4 cups all-purpose flour; up to 2|
|3 larges||Garlic cloves; minced|
|¼ cup||Olive oil|
|\N \N||Cornmeal for sprinkling baker's peel|
|12 \N||Littleneck clams; chucked, reserving|
|\N \N||; liquor|
|1 teaspoon||Dried oregano; crumbled|
|2 tablespoons||Freshly grated Romano cheese|
1. In a small bowl dissolve sugar in ¼ cup water. Sprinkle yeast over water and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
2. In a large bowl stir together 2 cups flour, remaining ¾ cup water, salt, and yeast mixture.
3. Transfer dough to a floured surface and clean and oil large bowl.
4. Knead dough vigorously, incorporating as much of remaining ¾ cup flour as necessary to create a silky dough, a full 15 minutes.
5. Transfer dough to prepared bowl, turning to coat slightly with oil, and cover bowl with 2 tight layers of plastic wrap. Let dough rise in a warm place 2 to 3 hours, or until doubled in bulk.
6. While dough is rising, in a small bowl combine garlic and oil and chill, covered.
7. Punch down dough and flatten on a lightly floured surface. Pounding with heel of hand and lifting, stretch dough carefully and work into a round about 15 inches in diameter (or into 2 smaller rounds).
8. Put pizza stone on bottom shelf of oven and preheat oven to 500F.
9. Sprinkle baker's peel with cornmeal and slide dough onto it. Cover dough with a kitchen towel and let it rest, covered with the kitchen towel, about 15 minutes. While dough is resting, let garlic oil come to room temperature.
10. Brush dough evenly with garlic oil, leaving a ½-inch border untouched. Arrange clams with a dash of reserved liquor over garlic oil and sprinkle with oregano and Romano.
11. Shake and slide pizza off baker's peel onto pizza stone in oven. Reduce oven temperature to 450F. and bake pizza 15 minutes, or until crust is medium brown.
12. Serve pizza immediately with plenty of napkins. Serves 2 as an entree or 4 as an hors d'oeuvre.
Serves 2 AS AN ENTREE or 4 AS AN HORS D'OEUVRE.
Gourmet March 1995
Converted by MC_Buster.
Per serving: 1194 Calories (kcal); 56g Total Fat; (42% calories from fat); 20g Protein; 151g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 4276mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 9½ Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; ½ Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 11 Fat; ½ Other Carbohydrates Converted by MM_Buster v2.0n.