Yield: 6 Servings
|¾ cup||Evaporated milk|
|1||Piece lime rind; (2 inch)|
|½ teaspoon||Vanilla extract|
1. Combine the evaporated milk, fresh milk, salt, and lime rind in a heavy saucepan, bring just to a boil, and set aside to cool.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks until lemon colored.
3. In a seperate bowl, mix the cornstarch with enough of the cooled milk to make a light paste. Slowly add the rest of the milk and the egg yolks, stirring constantly.
4. Strain this mixture into another saucepan. Stir in the sugar and cook over low heat, constantly stirring, until the mixture thickens. Stir in the vanilla and set the custard aside to cool.
5. Spoon it into a serving bowl and refrigerate it until chilled.
Per serving: 313 Calories; 6g Fat (16% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 60g Carbohydrate; 118mg Cholesterol; 407mg Sodium ### Recipe by: M.J. Lluria de O"Higgins, A TASTE OF OLD CUBA, p.229 Posted to TNT - Prodigy's Recipe Exchange Newsletter by ksmith3001@...
(Katherine L Smith) on Aug 6, 1997