Yield: 1 servings
|½ cup||Warm water|
|2 packs||Dry active yeast|
|1½ cup||Warm soy milk|
|2 tablespoons||Canola oil|
|1 large||Egg or equivalent vegan egg substitute|
|3 cups||Kamut flour|
|3 cups||Spelt flour|
|Cooking spray or oil|
Makes 2 loaves
1. In a small bowl, stir together water and yeast. Cover and set aside for 7 to 10 minutes.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together soy milk, oil, honey, and egg. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, stir together kamur flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Combine milk mixture and yeast mixture, and mix thoroughly. Gradually stir in spelt flour.
4. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the dough is slightly elastic (don't overknead.) Cover dough with a towel, and let rise for 1 to 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
5. Lightly spray or brush a large baking sheet with oil. Punch down dough and divide in half. Shape each half into an oblong loaf and place loaves on baking sheet, about three inches apart. Cover with a towel and let rise for 1 to 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
6. Preheat oven to 350F. Bake loaves for about 45 minutes, or until they sound hollow when tapped. Let cool for 10 minutes, then transfer loaves to a wire rack and cool completely before slicing.
PER SERVING: 158 CAL (14% from fat). 5g PROT, 2.5g FAT. 30g CARB, 52mg SOD, 11mg CHOL. 3g FIBER
By "Karen C. Greenlee" <greenlee@...> on Mar 13, 1999.
Recipe by: Veggie Life Magazine, November 1998, page Converted by MM_Buster v2.0l.