Yield: 6 Servings
|2 ounces||Beche-de-mer (up to)|
|4||Dried black mushrooms|
|½ cup||Chicken breast|
|Water to cover|
|½ pounds||Lean pork|
|1½ teaspoon||Soy sauce|
|½ cup||Smoked ham|
|½ cup||Bamboo shoots|
|⅛ pounds||Snow peas|
1. Soak and boil beche-de-mer; cut in ½-inch sections. Soak dried mushrooms.
2. Place chicken breast in water. Bring to a boil; then simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Let cool; then skin, bone and dice.
3. Mince or grind pork. Blend well with soy sauce, sherry, salt and sugar; form into 8 walnut-size balls.
4. Dice ham. Slice bamboo shoots. Stem snow peas and cut in half; then blanch. (See "HOW-TO SECTION".) Cut soaked mushrooms in half.
5. Heat oil. Quickly brown porkballs on all sides, then remove from pan.
6. Add stock to pan and bring to a boil. Stir in mushmrooms and bamboo shoots to heat, then return porkballs. Cook, covered, 5 minutes over medium heat.
7. Add beche-de-mer, diced chicken and ham, the remaining salt and sugar. Cook, covered, 3 to 4 minutes more.
8. Meanwhile blend cornstarch and cold water to a paste, then stir in to thicken. Stir in snow peas only to heat through and serve at once.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .