Yield: 6 Servings
|12 ounces||Lump crabmeat; picked clean, shredded by hand|
|1½ cup||Red potatoes; cooked and diced|
|2 mediums||Roasted red bell peppers; diced|
|1 large||Egg; lightly beaten|
|1 tablespoon||Dijon mustard|
|1 teaspoon||Worcestershire sauce|
|1 teaspoon||Ground red pepper|
|¼ cup||Heavy cream|
|1 tablespoon||Fresh cilantro leaves; chopped|
|2½ tablespoon||Fresh lime juice|
|¼ cup||Fresh bread crumbs|
|3 tablespoons||Sesame seeds; ground in a coffee or spice grinder|
|1 teaspoon||Oriental sesame oil|
|Salt and pepper; to taste|
|1 tablespoon||Light olive oil (not virgin or extra-virgin)|
|1 tablespoon||Peanut oil|
|2 teaspoons||Garlic; minced|
|½ teaspoon||Crushed red pepper|
|1 teaspoon||Fresh ginger; minced|
|¼ cup||Fermented black beans; well rinsed, chopped|
|1 cup||Fish stock; clam juice, or water|
|1 teaspoon||Oyster sauce|
|1 teaspoon||Dark soy sauce|
|½ teaspoon||Sugar; or more to taste|
|2 teaspoons||Cornstarch; mixed with|
|1 tablespoon||Cold water|
|2 tablespoons||Olive oil|
|¼ cup||Shallots; chopped|
|1||Clove garlic; minced|
|4 larges||Tomatoes; firm, ripe and meaty, peeled,, seeded and chopped|
|2 tablespoons||Fresh basil leaves; slivered|
BLACK BEAN SAUCE
1. Preheat the broiler.
2. In a large bowl, combine all non-sauce ingredients except olive oil and toss gently with two forks until well mixed.
3. Shape the crab mixture into 6 large patties. Place on a rack in a broiler pan, brush with the olive oil, and broil until golden, about 5 minutes. Carefully turn on the other side and broil for 5 minutes more.
4. Place each patty on a plate and spoon ¼ cup of the black bean sauce on one side of the patty and ¼ cup of the tomato sauce on the other.
Black Bean Sauce (Makes 1½ cups): 1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, crushed red pepper, ginger and black beans. Cook, stirring gently for 1 minute.
2. Add the fish stock (or clam juice, or water), soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Add the cornstarch/water mixture and stir over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute.
Tomato Sauce (makes 1 ½ cups): 1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
2. Add the tomatoes and cook uncovered until the tomatoes are soft, about 7 minutes. Stir in the basil and cook for 1 minute.
NOTES : "...a rapturous experience from the very first bite." Recipe by: Gary Strehl in "Terrific Pacific Cookbook" Posted to Bakery-Shoppe Digest V1 #177 by "Cathy L. Lielausis" <cathylielausis@...> on Aug 02, 1997