Yield: 4 servings
|¼ cup||Butter or margarine|
|3||Large onions, sliced (4 C)|
|1 tablespoon||All purpose flour|
|½ cup||Red wine|
|2 cans||Condensed beef broth|
|8 ounces||Swiss cheese slices|
1. In a 4 quart saucepan over medium heat in hot butter, cook onions and
sugar for 10 minutes.
2. Stir in flour until well blended with the onions and the pan juices. 3. Add water, wine, and undiluted beef broth; heat to boiling.
Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes.
4. Cut four 1 inch thick slices of bread from loaf. Toast in 325F oven
just until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
5. Ladle soup into 4 oven safe bowls and place 1 slice toasted bread on
surface of soup in each bowl.
6. Fold Swiss cheese slices and fit onto toasted bread slices in soup. 7. Place soup bowls in pan for easier handling. Bake in 425F oven for
10 minutes or just until cheese is melted.