Yield: 1 Servings
|8||Filo leaves or strudel dough|
|1 pounds||Dried apricot|
|⅔ pounds||Shelled walnuts|
|½ pounds||Golden raisins|
|1 tablespoon||Orange peel|
|2½ cup||Granulated sugar|
|Juice of 1 lemon|
|2 cups||Canola oil|
1. Cook apricots in very little water and 2 Tbs sugar until soft. Mash apricots.
2. Finely chop walnuts
3. Grate or process bread
4. Stir together bread and walnuts and add enough oil to bind. Stir in1/2 the granulated sugar , the raisins and the apricot paste. Stir in lemon juice and orange peel and taste, it should be sweet and slightly tart.
5. Divide strudel dough into 8 golf size balls.
6. Oil a 20 inch pan.
7. Roll out first ball as thin as possible, then stretch it using the back of your hands and floured knuckles, and keep stretching it on top of baking pan, stick it to the boards and keep pulling delicately.
8. Oil this first leaf, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and sugar.
9. Repeat operation with second and third leaf , but dont do the oil, breadcrumbs and sugar with this leaf, instead of[read half the filling. The weight will make the leaf sink to the bottom of the pan.
10. Roll out 2 more balls into leafs, placing them on top of filling, with oil, breadcrumbs and sugar between them.
11.Spread second half of filling.
12.Top with 3 last leafs, repeating the same process of basting with oil, breadcrumbs and sugar.
13. Press top of dough to adhere. Cut out edges.
14 Cut losangles on dough all the way to the bottom.
15. Bake in a 350 oven until golden. ( about 45 minutes) 16. Let cool well and cut out losangles.
keeps for a month in a sealed jar.
With filo leaves:
Same process except the stretching and pulling.
Place 1 leaf on top of the other,oiled and sprinkled with breadcrumbs and sugar. Same for top layer. Place ¼ of filling in a row 2" away from the edge of the dough. Roll up like strudel. Mark at 1½ " intervals. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Let cool and slice.
NOTES : You may substitute almonds, hazelnuts or a mixture. You may use prunes with the apricots and make a paste from both.
Recipe by: Ester Podcameni
Posted to Bakery-Shoppe Digest V1 #231 by Leon & Miriam Posvolsky <miriamp@...> on Sep 12, 1997