Yield: 16 servings
|¼ cup||Vegetable Shortening|
|½ cup||Warm Water|
|2 cups||All-Purpose Flour|
|½ cup||Nonfat Dry Milk|
|1 tablespoon||Baking Powder Plus 1 Tsp|
1. Build a charcoal fire with 36 briquets, and let them burn until they are covered with ash. Place 12 of the coals in a circle.
2. Place a 12-in Dutch oven over the circle of coals. Add the shortening to the Dutch oven and heat until melted. Using pot holders, tilt the Dutch oven to lightly coat the interior with melted shortening. In a heatproof bowl, pour the shortening into the warm water; mix well.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, dry milk, sugar, baking powder, and salt and mix well with a fork to aerate. Stir the liquid into the dry ingredients, just to make a soft dough. Do not overmix.
4. Drop heaping Tbs of the dough into the Dutch oven. Place the lid on top and use a spade to place the remaining coals on the lid.
5. Cook the biscuits until they are lightly browned, 15 to 20 mins.
Serve hot. Makes about 16 biscuits from Stephen Zimmer of Philmont Scout Ranch of Cimarron, NM.
Recipe By : National Cowboy Hall of Fame Chuck Wagon Cookbook From: Dan Klepach Date: 06-08-95 (159) Fido: Cooking