Yield: 6 Servings
|1||2.5-3 pound) fish|
|2 tablespoons||Soy sauce|
|½ cup||Smoked ham|
|5 slices||Fresh ginger root|
1. Have fish cleaned and scaled, but left whole. Rinse in cold water and score on both sides.
2. Combine soy sauce, sherry and salt, and sprinkle over fish.
3. Mince scallion stalk; slice ham and ginger root thin and arrange on top.
4. Add water, pouring it down the sides of pan so as not to disturb topping. Bring to a boil over moderate heat; then simmer, covered, until fish is done (30 to 40 minutes).
5. Serve hot, with dips of soy sauce, ginger and vinegar. VARIATION: Omit steps 2 and 3; sprinkle the fish with 1 tablespoon sherry, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon ginger juice. Simmer as in step 4. Then drain and transfer to a serving dish. Serve with "Five Willow Sauce" poured over (see recipes).
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .