Yield: 12 servings
|3 \N||Egg whites|
|\N \N||Dash salt|
|⅛ teaspoon||Cream of tartar|
|½ teaspoon||Vanilla extract|
|12 ounces||Semisweet or bittersweet|
|\N \N||Chocolate; cut-up|
|3 \N||1-oz unsweetened chocolate|
|\N \N||Squares; cut-up|
|⅓ cup||Dark rum|
|2 cups||Heavy cream; whipped|
|\N \N||Chocolate crumb crust (recipe below)|
|\N \N||Chocolate leaves or shaved|
|\N \N||Whipped cream|
Recipe by: 365 Great Chocolate Desserts - ISBN 0-06-016537-5 Preparation Time: 1:00
1. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and ⅓ cup water. Cook over medium-high heat, swirling pan slowly ---NOT STIRRING--- until syrup comes to a boil. Continue swirling until mixture turns from cloudy to clear. Cover pan, reduce heat to low, and simmer while beating egg whites.
2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 sec. Add salt and cream of tartar, and beat with mixer on high speed until egg whites form stiff peaks. Beat in vanilla.
3. Remove cover from sugar syrup pan, increase heat to medium-high, and boil until syrup reaches 238°F on a candy thermometer or forms a soft ball.
4. Resume beating egg whites with a mixer on medium speed while gradually pouring in boiling syrup in a thin stream. Beat until meringue cools and stiff peaks form, 8 to 10 mins.
5. In a 1-qt glass bowl, combine semisweet and unsweetened chocolate and rum. Heat in microwave on High 1½ to 2 mins, or until chocolate is melted and smooth when stirred. Let cool.
6. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat chocolate misture into meringue. Let cool. Fold in whipped cream. Spoon filling evenly into a chilled Chocolate Crumb Crust. Refrigerate until firm, 4 hours or overnight. Or freeze up to 4 weeks, then thaw in refrigerator 8 to 10 hours before serving. Garnish as desired with chocolate leaves and additional whipped cream.
CHOCOLATE CRUMB CRUST:
2 cups chocolate wafer cookie crumbs 1 ½ Tbs sugar
5 Tbs butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, combine cookie crumbs, sugar, and butter; mix well. Press into bottom and partway up sides of a 10-inch springform pan. Bake 10 to 12 mins. Let cool.