Yield: 4 servings
|\N \N||Olive or salad oil|
|1 small||Onion, minced|
|4 larges||Skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (~ 1 1/2 lb)|
|12 \N||Oil-packed dried tomatoes without salt|
|6 mediums||Red potatoes (about 1/2 lb)|
|2 smalls||ZucchINI (about 6oz ea)|
|1 large||Bunch basil|
|3 tablespoons||Red wine viInegar|
|¼ teaspoon||Coarsely ground black pepper|
|4 larges||Lettuce leaves|
ABOUT 1½ HOURS BEFORE SERVING OR EARLY IN DAY: 1. In 1-quart saucepan over medium heat, in 2 t hot olive or salad oil, cook onion until lightly browned. Stir in 1 T water and continue cooking until onion is very tender.
2. Meanwhile, with meat mallet or dull edge of French knife, pound chicken-breast halves to ¼" thickness. Finely chop dried tomatoes, Sliced unpeeled potatoes and zucchINI ¼" thick. Chop enough basil to measure 1 tablespoon; reserve remaining basil.
3. Stir all but 1 T chopped dried tomatoes into onion in saucepan.
Use ½ t salt to sprinkle on both sides of chicken breast halves.
With breast halves boned-side up, spread with onion mixture, then top evenly with some whole basil leaves. Roll each breast half jelly-roll fashion; secure with toothpicks.
4. In nonstick 12" skillet over medium heat, in 1 t hot olive, or salad oil, cook zucchini slices and ¼ t salt until zucchini is tender and lightly browned. Remove zucchini to plate. In same skillet in 1 more t hot olive or salad oil, cook chicken rolls until lightly browned all over. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook until chicken loses its pink color throughout, about 10 minutes total cooking time.
Remove chicken rolls to cutting board; cool slightly until easy to handle.
5. While chicken is cooking, in 2 qt saucepan over high heat, heat sliced potatoes and enough water to cover to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
6. In cup, with fork, mix red wine vinegar, sugar, coarsely ground black pepper, chopped basil, 3 tablespoons olive or salad oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1 T chopped dried tomatoes. Set salad dressing aside.
7. Discard toothpicks from chicken rolls and cut rolls into ½" thick slices. Cut tomatoes into wedges. On 4 dinner plates, place sliced chicken on lettuce leaves. Arrange potatoes, zucchini, and tomatoes on plates with chicken..If not serving right away, cover and refrigerate to serve cold later. To serve, drizzle dressing over all.
Garnish with basil sprigs if you like.
Each serving: About 540 calories, 20 fat, 108 Mg cholesterol, 1060 mg sodium.
Good Housekeeping/July'94/scanned & fixed by DP & GG