Yield: 4 Servings
|12 ounces||Pasta; bow tie shape|
|3 cups||Sliced carrot|
|1 tablespoon||Cornstarch; * see note|
|¼ cup||Warm water; * see note|
|1¼ cup||Skim milk|
|1 cup||Shredded cheddar cheese|
|¼ teaspoon||Black pepper|
|10 ounces||Frozen peas; thawed|
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions, but do not add salt.
2. While pasta is cooking, place carrots in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain carrots; set aside.
3. Mix the cornstarch in ¼ cup cold water.
4. In same saucepan, add milk and cornstarch mixture. Cook, whisking frequently, until mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Whisk in cheese until melted. Whisk in pepper. Add peas and carrots; cook, stirring, about I minute.
5. Drain pasta in a colander. Place in a large serving bowl. Pour cheese mixture over pasta; toss to coat. Serve immediately.
NOTES : * Original recipe called for 2 Tbsp margarine & 2 Tbsp flour. I prefer to use cornstarch.
Follow this for Step 3: 3. In same saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat. Add flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 3 minutes. Add milk and cook, whisking frequently, until mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Whisk in cheese until melted. Whisk in pepper. Add peas and carrots; cook, stirring, about I minute.
Can be made with any small shaped pasta.
I used frozen peas and carrots instead of fresh carrots.
Calories: 550⅒ (18½% from fat) Fat: 11.2g Cholesterol: 31mg Carbohydrate: 86.7 g Fiber: 7.6g Sodium: 326mg Recipe by: Healthy Meals in Minutes Posted to EAT-LF Digest by "Wildrose" <esordliw@...> on Sep 27, 1998, converted by MM_Buster v2.0l.