Yield: 10 Servings
|4 pounds||Chicken -- *see note|
|1½ cup||Onions -- chopped|
|1½ cup||Carrots -- chopped|
|1½ cup||Celery -- chopped|
|1 teaspoon||Curry powder|
|1 \N||Tart apple -- chopped|
|¼ teaspoon||Black pepper|
|2 cans||Chicken broth -- condensed|
|10 ounces||Frozen corn|
|10 ounces||Frozen lima beans|
|1½ cup||Pasta shells -- cooked|
|2 tablespoons||Fresh parsley -- chopped|
* Use a 4-pound stewing chicken, cut in half, or use pre-cut chicken.
1. In a 5-quart kettle or pot, melt margarine and brown chicken until well-browned on all sides. Remove chicken and keep warm.
2. In remaining fat in pan, saute onions, carrots, celery and curry powder. Use medium heat. Stir until onions are tender and limp; about 5 minutes.
3. Return chicken to pot. Add apple, salt, pepper, chicken broth, 5 cups cold water and parsley. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Stiroccasionally.
4. Remove chicken; add corn and lima beans and cook 30 minutes longer.
5. Cook pasta while chicken is cooking.
6. Skim fat from soup. Remove skin and bones from chicken; cut into bite-sized pieces. Return chicken to pot; add cooked pasta shells.
7. Let stand, covered, for about 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe By : Jo Anne Merrill