Yield: 4 Servings
|4 \N||Dried black mushrooms|
|1 \N||(2-lb) fish|
|½ cup||Bamboo shoots|
|1 \N||Clove garlic|
|2 slices||Fresh ginger root|
|1 \N||Scallion stalk|
|2 tablespoons||Soy sauce|
|1½ teaspoon||Brown sugar|
|½ teaspoon||Salt (up to)|
1. Soak dried mushrooms.
2. Cut fish crosswise into 2 to 3 inch steaks. Wipe dry; then dredge lightly in cornstarch.
3. Slice bamboo shoots and soaked mushrooms. Mince garlic, ginger root and scallion.
4. Combine stock, soy sauce, sherry, brown sugar and salt.
5. Heat oil until nearly smoking. Brown fish steaks quickly on both sides.
Remove from pan.
6. Heat remaining oil. Add minced garlic, ginger and scallion and stir-fry a few times. Add mushrooms and bamboo shoots and stir-fry 1 minute more.
7. Add stock-soy mixture and bring to a boil. Return fish and simmer, covered, until done (about 15 minutes).
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .