Yield: 6 servings
|½ cup||Cooking oil|
|¼ cup||Vinegar or lemon juice|
|2||Cloves garlic, minced|
|1½ pounds||Boneless tenderized beef round steak, fat trimmed|
|¼ cup||Cooking oil|
|2||Cloves garlic, minced, or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder|
|2 tablespoons||Dairy sour cream|
|10||To 13 slices bacon|
|3 ounces||Thinly sliced fully cooked ham|
From : Sallie Krebs, Sat 06 Aug 95 04:00, Area: COOKING Iowa State Fair cookout champion Gary Kuper of Adel, Iowa (12 miles west of Des Moines), sent us his prizewinning recipe. Gary rolls together beef round steak, bacon and ham for an irresistible marinated trio.
1. For marinade, combine the ½ cup cooking oil, vinegar or lemon juice, 2 cloves garlic and pepper. Place beef steak in a plastic bag; set into a shallow dish. Pour marinade over meat. Seal bag. Chill meat for 12 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, prepare sauce: In a small saucepan, combine the ¼ cup cooking oil, butter and 2 gloves garlic. Cook over low heat till butter is melted. Remove from heat; whisk in sour cream. Set the sauce aside.
3. Drain the meat, discarding the marinade. Cut the beef into strips that are about 6 inches long by ¾ inch wide.
4. Using the same number of strips of bacon as there are strips of beef, cook bacon in a large skillet till bacon is cooked, but not crisp.
5. Cut ham into 6x3/4-inch strips.
6. For each roll, place a strip of beef atop a bacon strip. Place 1 or 2 strips of ham atop each beef strip. Beginning at short side of stack, roll up meat. Thread rolls onto skewers, leaving ¼ inch between each.
7. In a covered grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan.
Test for medium heat above drip pan. Place kabobs on the grill rack over the drip pan. Brush with some of the sauce. Lower the grill hood and grill for 15 to 20 minutes or till meat is of desired doneness, turning and brushing with sauce once.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Source: Midwest Living, August 1995