Yield: 8 Servings
|1 tablespoon||Soy sauce|
1. Shell and devein shrimp; mince or grind with pork. Then blend in sherry, soy sauce, sugar and salt.
2. Blend cornstarch and cold water to a paste. Add to shrimp mixture, mixing well. Form into walnut size balls; then flatten each slightly.
3. Heat oil. Brown shrimp balls lightly on all sides.
4. Add remaining water and cook, covered, over medium heat, turning several times, until done (6 to 8 minutes).
NOTE: The pork used should have some fat. VARIATIONS: 1. For the oil, substitute lard.
2. With Chinese cabbage: In step 4, place 1 pound Chinese cabbage stems, cut in 1-inch sections, at the bottom of the pan with the shrimp balls on top. Add ½ cup water and ½ teaspoon salt; then simmer, covered, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. With cucumbers: In step 4, place 2 medium cucumbers, peeled and cut in 1-inch slices, at the bottom of the pan with the shrimp balls on top. Add ½ cup water and 1 tablespoon soy sauce; then simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
4. With lily buds: In step 4, place ½ cup lily buds (soaked) at the bottom of the pan with the shrimp balls on top. Add 1 cup water and 2 teaspoons soy sauce; then simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
5. With mushrooms: In step 4, add to the shrimp balls ½ cup water and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Then add ½ pound fresh mushrooms, sliced; and simmer, covered, 3 to 4 minutcs more.
6. With spinach: In step 4, add to the shrimp balls ½ cup water and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Then add 1 pound whole leaf spinach and ½ teaspoon salt; and simmer, covered, 3 minutes more.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .