Yield: 10 servings
|6 eaches||To 8 sweet peppers Red or Green|
|6 larges||To 8 onions|
|2 tablespoons||Mustard seed|
You'll need a large, deep container in which to soak the artichokes and a food grinder or processor. The recipe makes ten ½ pint jars.
In addition to the basic equipment you will need a large mixing bowl and a food grinder or mill.
1. Select fresh, tender artichokes. Wash well and trim, if necessary.
2. Dissolve 1 cup salt in water in a large pan. Add artichokes and let stand overnight. Drain well.
3. Organize ingredients, equipment, and work area.
4. Remove stems and seeds from peppers and peel onions. Grind peppers, onions, and artichokes, using coarse blade. Set aside.
5. In a large preserving kettle, combine vinegar, sugar, and spices and heat to boiling.
6. Add ground vegetables and heat to boiling.
7. ladle boiling mixture into hot jars to within ¼ inch of the tops.
8. Run a slim, non metal tool down along the insides of jars to release any air bubbles. Add additional relish, if necessary, to within ¼ inch of the tops of the jars.
9. Wipe tops and thread of jars with damp clean cloth.
10. Put on lids and screw bands as manufacturer directs.
11. Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes. follow the basic steps for boiling water bath canning, 10 through 18.
Source: Vegetable Gardening Encyclopedia Typos by Dorothy Flatman 1995 Submitted By DOROTHY FLATMAN On 10-09-95