Yield: 10 Servings
|1 pounds||Loaf French bread|
|Nonstick cooking spray|
|8 larges||Eggs; slightly beaten|
|3½ cup||Skim milk|
|1 cup||Sugar; divided|
|1 tablespoon||Vanilla extract|
|6 mediums||Apples;peel/core/thin slice|
|3 teaspoons||Ground cinnamon|
|1 teaspoon||Ground nutmeg|
1. Slice bread into 1½-inch slices. Coat a 9-by-13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray and tightly pack bread into pan.
2. In a large bowl, stir together eggs, milk, ½ cup sugar and the vanilla. Pour half of the egg mixture over the bread slices.
3. Evenly distribute apple slices over bread. Top with remaining egg mixture.
4. In a small bowl combine remaining ½ cup sugar, the cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle over apples. Dot with butter. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. The next day, uncover pan and bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm.
from Joseph Stefanic, Oak Park, Illinois Source: Chicago Sun Times, August 7, 1996