Yield: 4 servings
|½ cup||Granulated sugar|
|5||Egg yolks, beaten|
|¼||Teasp. vanilla extract|
1. Start heating oven to 425ø F. Cut off top of 1 large ripe pineapple. With knife and spoon, cut out pineapple meat from inside, leaving ½"-thick shell.
2. From pineapple meat, cut off core; then cut into thin slices; in saucepan, simmer with ¼ cup granulated sugar 5 min. Drain well.
3. Now, into pineapple shell, spoon Creme Patissiere* and drained pineapple in layers, until shell is filled, ending with Creme Patissiere. Toss 2 tablesp. macaroon crumbs with 2 teasp. melted butter or margarine; sprinkle over top. (Save any leftover creme and fruit for next day's lunch.)
4. Bake pineapple 25 min. or until golden. Serve hot. Makes 4 servings.
1. In double boiler, heat cream.
2. Combine sugar, flour, and salt. Add to egg yolks; beat until well-mixed.
3. Stir some of hot cream mixture into egg yolks; mix well. Stir egg mixture into the remaining cream mixture in double boiler.
4. Cook over hot water, stirring constantly, about 15 min. or until mixture is thickened and coats spoon. Remove from heat.
5. Add vanilla; cover surface with waxed paper; refrigerate overnight.