Yield: 4 servings
|3||Green plantains, peeled and cut crosswise diagonally into 1-inch thick slices|
|2||Garlic cloves, finely chopped|
|Vegetable oil for deep fat frying|
1. In large bowl, combine water, plantains, 2½ t salt, and the garlic. Let stand 15 minutes.
2. Drain plantains well and reserve liquid; dry plantains on paper towels.
3. In large skillet, heat ½ inch oil until deep-fat thermometer registers 375'F. Fry very dry plantains in oil 6 to 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels. With palm of hand, flatten plantain slices to ¼-inch thickness.
4. Dip plantain slices in reserved liquid and dry on paper towels.
5. Fry plantains again in oil until golden brown and crisp; drain on paper towels. Season Fried Plantains with remaining ¼ t salt and serve warm on serving plate with ketchup, if desired.
Country Living/Sept/90 Scanned & fixed by DP & GG