Yield: 4 Servings
|1 \N||(2-lb) fish|
|¼ cup||Bamboo shoots|
|1 cup||Chinese lettuce|
|3 \N||Water chestnuts|
|12 \N||Snow peas|
|1 \N||Clove garlic|
|3 slices||Fresh ginger root|
1. Bone fish and cut against the grain in ¼-inch slices. Combine cornstarch, salt and sherry. Add to fish and toss gently to coat.
2. Slice bamboo shoots, Chinese lettuce and water chestnuts thin. Stem and string snow peas. Crush garlic. 3. Heat oil. Add the second quantity of salt, then crushed garlic; stir-fry a few times. Add vegetables and stir-fry to coat with oil (about 1 minute).
4. Add stock, sugar and pepper and bring to a boil. Cook, covered, 2 minutes over medium heat; then remove vegetables and liquid from pan.
Meanwhile mince ginger root.
5. Heat remaining oil. Add remaining salt, then minced ginger; stir-fry a few times. Add fish sliccs and stir-fry gently until done (about 3 minutes).
6. Return vegetables and their liquid. Stir-fry gently only to heat through. Serve at once. VARIATIONS: 1. For the Chinese lettuce, substitute Chinese cabbage.
2. For the vegetables, substitute ½ head cauliflower, broken into flowerets and parboiled; and 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced thin.
3. In step 3, add with the vegetables 2 tablespoons cloud ear mushrooms (soaked).
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .