Yield: 10 servings
|4 pounds||Boneless meat|
|¼ pounds||Flour, sifted|
|6 cups||Water or beef stock|
|1½ pounds||Small whole onions|
|1½ pounds||Carrots, sliced or cubed|
|1½ pounds||Turnips, sliced or cubed|
|1 pounds||Celery, diced|
|1 pounds||Peas, fresh or frozen|
|\N \N||Water, boiling|
|4 ounces||Flour, sifted (for gravy)|
|\N \N||Salt to taste|
|\N \N||Pepper to taste|
1. Cut meat into one- to two-inch cubes.
2. Mix flour, salt and pepper together. Roll meat in flour and cook in shortening until brown.
3. Add water or stock. Cover and heat until boiling point. Reduce heat and simmer 2½ to 3 hours or until tender.
4. Add vegetables in the following order, allowing required time for each to cook: onions, 45 minutes to 1 hour; carrots, 30 minutes; turnips and celery, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain, reserve liquid.
5. Barely cover peas with boiling water. Heat to boiling point.
Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes or until tender.
6. Mix flour and water. Stir until smooth. Add to hot meat and vegetable stock. Heat to boiling point. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Pour gravy over meat and vegetables. Add cooked peas. Reheat, and serve.