Yield: 4 Servings
|1 cup||Rice crusts|
|Oil for deep-frying|
1. Shell and devein shrimp. Combine cornstarch, sherry and salt; then add to shrimp and toss to coat. Break rice crusts in 2-inch pieces.
2. Heat oil. Add shrimp and stir-fry until pinkish; then remove from pan.
3. Heat stock, sugar and catsup; and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
4. Blend remaining cornstarch and cold water to a paste; then stir in to thicken mixture. Add shrimp to this sauce and cook 1 to 2 minutes to reheat. Keep warm.
5. Meanwhile heat remaining oil. Add rice crusts and deep-fry until they float to the top and are pale gold. Drain quickly; arrange on a heated serving platter.
6. Immediately pour hot shrimp and their sauce over deep-fried crusts and serve. (The initial contact between the two will make the rice sizzle.) NOTE: Rice crusts are formed from the rice which sticks to the bottom of the pan when "Basic Boiled Rice" is cooked. Reserve and refrigerate these until you have a cupful for this recipe.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .