Yield: 8 Scones
|½ cup||Sesame seeds|
|3 tablespoons||Grated orange rind|
|3 cups||Unsifted all-purpose flour|
|3 tablespoons||Light-brown sugar|
|1 tablespoon||Baking powder|
|¾ cup||Vegetable shortening|
|1 cup||Orange juice|
|3 tablespoons||Granulated sugar|
1. Heat oven to 425'F. Grease baking sheet. Set aside 1 T sesame seeds and 1 T orange rind. In large bowl, combine flour, remaining sesame seeds and orange rind, the brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Reserve 1 T orange juice. Add remaining orange juice to dry ingredients and mix lightly with fork until mixture clings together and fon-ns a soft dough.
3. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead gently 5 or 6 times. Divide dough in half, With lightly floured rolling pin, roll one half of dough into a 7-inch round. Cut into 4 wedges. Repeat with remaining half of dough.
4. Place scones, 1 inch apart, on greased baking sheet. Pierce tops with tines of fork. In small saucepan, heat reserved orange juice and the granulated sugar to boiling; stir in reserved orange rind and brush over tops of scones. Sprinkle with reserved sesame seeds.
5. Bake scones 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Brush again with orange glaze. Serve warm Submitted By SJOFNM@... On 9 JUL 1995 135557 ~0400