Yield: 4 Servings
|⅓ cup||Brown sugar|
|1 teaspoon||Grated orange peel|
|1 cup||Orange juice Dash of hot pepper sauce|
|1||Whole chicken, about 3 lbs.|
|1 tablespoon||Butter or margarine, softened|
|2||Orange slices, 1/2'd|
|1 tablespoon||Cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbsp. water|
1. Soak top & bottom of a 2 qt. clay pot in water about 15 mintues.
2. In a small bowl combine brown sugar, orange peel, orange juice & hot sauce.
3. Rinse & dry the chicken; remove excess fat around the cavity. Rub w/ butter & place inside pot. Pour sauce over all. Secure orange slices on top of chicken w/ wooden toothpicks.
4. Cover & place cooker in the middle of a cold oven. Turn the oven on to
475& bake 1 hour. Remove the lid & bake uncovered for 10 minutes to brown the skin lightly.
5. Remove chicken to a heated platter. Place sauce in a small saucepan & heat over medium-high heat. Add dissolved cornstarch to liquid & cook, stirring constantly until sauce thickens & bubbles.
Serve w/ chicken.
Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 1 ¼ hours From: Elizabeth Norsworthy Date: 07 Mar 94