Yield: 6 Servings
|1||Duck; 4 pounds|
|1 tablespoon||Sweet vegetable sauce|
|1 teaspoon||Vinegar (up to)|
|1 teaspoon||Chinese hot sauce|
|½ teaspoon||Sesame oil|
1. Boil water in a large pan and lower in duck to scald; then remove quickly and drain at once, discarding liquid. Hang bird to dry overnight in a cool, airy place.
2. Boil remaining water and stir in honey to dissolve. Brush over duck skin and let dry somewhat. Repeat 3 or 4 times to saturate skin with honey.
3. Rub duck cavity with salt. Hang duck overnight again to dry in a cool, airy place.
4. Combine sherry, sweet vegetable sauce, sugar, vinegar, hot sauce and sesame oil. Rub mixture into duck cavity. Meanwhile preheat oven to 450 degrees.
5. Place duck on a rack over a drip pan containing several inches of water and roast 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 250 degrees and roast 40 minutes more.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .