Yield: 4 servings
|1 tablespoon||Olive oil|
|1 large||Clove garlic, finely chopped|
|½ cup||Chopped shallots|
|2 teaspoons||Curry powder|
|¾ cup||Uncooked brown rice|
|½ cup||Uncooked lentils|
|1. In||large heavy saucepan heat olive oil and saute|
|in||curry powder and saute 2 minutes.|
|6||Walnut halves, chopped|
|¼ cup||Chopped chives|
|Pepper to taste|
|4 cups||Steamed vegetables, such as|
|Broccoli, carrot sticks,|
|Green beans and sliced leeks|
garlic and shallots. Do not allow to brown. Stir 2. Add rice and lentils. Saute 3 minutes. Add water and salt.
3. Bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat.
4. Simmer over low heat 40 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and let sit 15 minutes without removing lid.
6. Stir in walnuts and chives.
7. Season to taste with pepper.
8. Place Lentil Rice Pilaf in middle of heated serving platter and arrange vegetables around it.
VARIATION: Use the Lentil Rice Pilaf as a filling to stuff vegetables, such as green peppers, small winter squash, large zucchini etc. Precook vegetables before stuffing, then bake at 350 degrees F. until heated through.
DEAL-A-MEAL CARDS USED: 1 Bread 1 Meat 2 Vegetable SOURCE: Richard Simmons Deal-A-Meal Golden Edition Cookbook Enjoy!