Yield: 1 servings
|3½ cup||All-Purpose Flour|
|1 teaspoon||Ground Allspice|
|1 teaspoon||Nutmeg, freshly grated|
|1 teaspoon||Ground Cloves|
|1 cup||Blackberry Jam|
|1 cup||Strawberry Jam|
|1 cup||Peach Preserves|
|½ pounds||Unsalted Butter, softened|
|6||Egg Yolks, lightly beaten|
|1½ teaspoon||Baking Soda|
|⅔ cup||Seedless Raisins|
|1 cup||Pecans, chopped|
* Heat oven to 350 F.
1. Prepare four 8-inch cake pans, cut 4 rounds of parchment paper to fit bottoms of pans. Butter the pans liberally and position the parchment liners.
2. Sift together the flour, salt, allspice, nutmeg and cloves. Set aside. Push the blackberry and strawberry jams and peach preserves through a sieve into a bowl. Set aside.
3. In large bowl of heavy-duty mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks and combine well.
4. Put in the buttermilk in a 2-cup and stir in the baking soda.
5. With mixer on low speed, add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately, beginning and ending with flour. Beat until batter is smooth. Stir in jams, raisins and nuts.
6. Beat the egg white until they form stiff, unwavering peaks. Scoop the whites over the batter and gently fold then in with a rubber spatula. Pour the batter into the baking pans, dividing it evenly and smoothing the tops with spatula.
7. Bake in center of oven 30 to 35 mins, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool 10 mins on wire racks, then turn out on racks to cool completely. When completely cooled, frost with caramel frosting.
From the MARION COUNTY COUNTRY HAM DAYS of Lebanon, KY. Fair dates: Late Sept., for 2 days.
Recipe By : The County Fair Cookbook - ISBN 0-7868-6014-6 From: Dan Klepach Date: 04-05-95 (159) Fido: Cooking