Yield: 6 Servings
|2 cups||Long grain rice|
|1 teaspoon||Cumin seeds|
|1 medium||Onion, finely chopped|
|1 \N||Clove garlic, crushed|
|½ teaspoon||Fresh ginger, finely|
|6 \N||Whole cloves|
|250 grams||Minced lamb or beef|
|2 cups||Green peas|
|4 cups||Hot water|
|1 teaspoon||Garam masala|
1. Wash rice and leave to drain.
2. Heat ghee in a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Fry the cumin with the onion, garlic, ginger and cloves until onion is soft and golden brown.
3. Add the mince and fry over moderately high heat until the mince is browned.
4. Add peas and half cup water, stir well, cover and cook until peas are half done.
5. Add rice and hot water and stir in the salt.
6. Bring quickly to the boil, cover, turn heat very low and cook for 10 minutes.
7. Uncover and sprinkle with garam masala but do not stir. Replace lid and continue cooking for a further 10 minutes or until liquid is all absorbed and rice is cooked through. Serve hot.
Compiled by Imran C.
Posted to TNT - Prodigy's Recipe Exchange Newsletter by "I. Chaudhary" <imranc@...> on Aug 6, 1997