Yield: 4 Servings
|1½ cup||Dried chick peas|
|1 medium||Onion, diced|
|3 tablespoons||Peanut oil|
|1 tablespoon||Lemon juice|
|2 teaspoons||Dried parsley|
|2 teaspoons||Dried mint|
|½ teaspoon||Ground cinnamon|
|¼ teaspoon||Ground black pepper|
|¼ teaspoon||Garlic powder|
|¼ teaspoon||Ground cumin seed|
1) Soak the chick peas overnight in lots of water. Then bring to a boil, and simmer for 2 to 3 hours.
2) Mix the onions and spices together in a small bowl. Using a non-stick pan, then fry in the oil until the onions are brown (5 to 10 minutes).
3) Thoroughly mix the fried onion, cooked chick peas, lemon juice, parsley, and mint in a medium size bowl.
4) On medium-high heat, fry everything until the chick peas start to soften (about 10 minutes). Cover, and set the heat on very low for 15 to 20 minutes.
5) Serve hot or cold. Great for picnics! ** Variations **
Add one more diced onion. Use olive, sesame, or safflower oil instead of peanut.
Contributed by: Walter Brown, ab684 From: ab684@... (Walter Brown). rfvc Digest V94 Issue #210. Sept. 28, 1994. Formatted by Sue Smith, S.Smith34, TXFT40A@... using MMCONV.