Yield: 6 Servings
|4||Dried black mushrooms|
|1 cup||Chinese cabbage stems|
|½ cup||Bamboo shoots|
|¼ cup||Water chestnuts|
|Oil for deep-frying|
1. Soak dried mushrooms.
2. Shred Chinese cabbage, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and soaked mushrooms.
3. Heat oil in a small pan. Break one egg gently onto a flat plate, then slide into hot oil. Deep-fry until its edges begin to brown (2 to 3 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper toweling. (Fry only one egg at a time.)
4. Cut lettuce into strips. Arrange on a serving platter with eggs on top.
5. Heat remaining oil. Add salt, then shredded vegetables, and stir-fry 2 minutes.
6. Add stock and heat quickly; then simmer, covered, 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Meanwhile blend cornstarch and cold water to a paste. Then add, along with sugar and pepper, and cook, stirring, to thicken. Pour over deep-fried eggs and serve at once. VARIATIONS: 1. For the Chinese cabbage, substitute asparagus, broccoli, celery or snow peas.
2. After Step 5, sprinkle the vegetables with a mixture of 1 tablespoon sherry, ½ teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon soy sauce. Stir-fry 1 minute more.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .