Yield: 12 Servings
|1 teaspoon||Dried yeast|
|1 teaspoon||Granurated sugar|
|8 ounces||Warm water|
|1 pounds||Strong white flour|
|8 ounces||Softened butter|
|1 \N||Beaten egg|
|\N \N||A little extra beaten egg to glaze|
From: hwchen@... (Hui-Wen Chen) Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 09:24:56 GMT 1. prepare the yeast and sugar with the warm water.
2. put the flour and salt in a bowl, add then rub in the lard.
3. add the yeast liquid and beaten egg and mix to form a smooth dough.
4. knead until smooth. roll out to a 50*20 cm (20*8 in) rectangle, keeping the edges straight.
5. divide the softened butter into 3 equal portions. use 1 portion of butter to dot the top ⅔ of the dough, leaving a narrow border around the edges.
6. fold up the bottom ⅓ of the dough and fold down the top ⅓ of the dough. seal the edges with a rolling pin, then give the dough a ¼ turn.
press lightly at intervals, then roll the dough out to an oblong again.
7. repeat step 5-6 again with the next portion of butter. roll out the dough as in step 6. dot with the last portion of butter and fold the last portion of butter and fold the dough in ⅓ again. cover with a tea towl and chill for 30 min.
8. repeat the rolling and folding 3 more times without adding any more butter. cover the folded dough and chill again for 30 min.
9. roll out the dough to a 50*30 cm rectangle on a lightly floured surface, constantly patting in the edges to keep the shape. with a sharp knife, trim the edges neatly, then cut the dough in half lengthwise. cut each strip of dough into 3 equal-sized squares and then cut each square in half diagonally to make 12 triangles.
10. roll up each triangle, starting from the wide side and gentlely shape into a crescent. any filling should be added before rolling each croissant.
make approx. 12.
11. put on ungreased baking sheets, cover and leave to rise for about 30 min until doubled in size.
12. brush with beaten egg. bake at 220 C (425 F, Gas mark 7) for about 15 min.
13. cool on a wire rack.
From rec.food.cooking archives. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .