Yield: 8 Servings
|1⅔ tablespoon||Sugar; optional|
|1 cup||Powdered sugar|
|½ cup||Unsweetened cocoa powder; dutch process|
|½ cup||1% milk|
|4 \N||Egg whites; room temperature|
|1 dash||Cream of tartar|
|2 \N||Egg yolks|
|½ teaspoon||Vanilla extract|
|3 tablespoons||Powdered sugar; for garnish|
From: Mart Johanson <johanson@...> Date: Mon, 06 May 1996 15:07:44 -0700 Recipe by: Chocolate and the Art of Low-Fat Desserts (Alice Medrick) 1. Position the rack in lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
Spray 4-5-ounce souffle cups with vegetable oil spray. If you are sugaring cups, pour a little granulated sugar in 1 souffle cup and tilt it to coat t bottom and sides. Tap out excess sugar into the next cup and continue until all the cups are sugared.
2. Sift the powdered sugar, cocoa, and flour into the top of a double boile Add the milk and ½ cup water and whisk until smooth. Cook over gently simmering water, whisking continuously, for about 10 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat. Set aside.
3. Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually sprinkle in sugar, beating at a high speed until stif but not dry.
4. Whisk the egg yolks and vanilla into the chocolate mixture. Fold about a quarter of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Fold in the remaining whites. Divide mixture evenly among the cups. It can come to about ½ inch below the rims. Soufflés may be cooled, covered, and refrigerated for up to 1 day.
5. Place the cups on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 17 minutes (19 to 20 minutes if souffles were prepared in advance and refrigerated), or until souffles have puffed well above the cups and a bamboo skewer or toothpick inserted from the side deep into the center comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it. Do not overbake.
6. To serve: Sieve a little powdered sugar over each souffle and serve immediately.
MASTERCOOK RECIPES LIST SERVER
MC-RECIPE DIGEST V1 #73
From the MasterCook recipe list. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .