Yield: 8 Servings
|4 \N||Eggs, separated|
|½ cup||Granulated sugar; plus...|
|⅓ cup||Granulated sugar; (divided)|
|1 teaspoon||Vanilla extract|
|½ cup||All-purpose flour|
|⅓ cup||HERSHEY'S Cocoa|
|½ teaspoon||Baking powder|
|¼ teaspoon||Baking soda|
|\N \N||Powdered sugar|
|\N \N||CHERRY-COCONUT FILLING|
|1 cup||Cold whipping cream|
|3 tablespoons||Powdered sugar|
|3 drops||Red food color (optional)|
|½ cup||MOUNDS Sweetened Coconut (Flakes)|
|⅓ cup||Chopped maraschino cherries (well drained)|
1. Heat oven to 375 F. Line 15-1/2x10-1/2x1-inch jelly-roll pan with foil; generously grease foil.
2. In large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually add ½ cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. In small mixer bowl, on medium speed of electric mixer, beat egg yolks and vanilla 3 minutes. Gradually add remaining ⅓ cup granulated sugar; continue beating 2 additional minutes.
3. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to egg yolk mixture alternately with water, beating on low speed just until batter is smooth. Gradually fold chocolate mixture into beaten egg whites until well blended.
4. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center. Immediately loosen cake from edges of pan; invert onto clean towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. Carefully peel off foil. Immediately roll cake and towel together starting from narrow end; place on wire rack to cool completely.
5. Prepare CHERRY-COCONUT FILLING. Carefully unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cake with filling; reroll cake. Refrigerate several hours. Sprinkle powdered sugar over top just before serving. Cover; refrigerate leftover cake roll. 8 to 10 servings.
CHERRY-COCONUT FILLING: In small bowl, beat whipping cream, powdered sugar and food color, if desired, until stiff. Fold in coconut and cherries.
Drizzle cake roll with COCOA GLAZE (recipe follows); garnish with maraschino cherries.
2 tablespoons butter or margarine 2 tablespoons HERSHEY'S Cocoa 2 tablespoons water 1 cup powdered sugar ½ teaspoon vanilla extract 1. In small saucepan over low heat, melt butter; add cocoa and water, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Do not boil.
2. Remove from heat; gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating with whisk until smooth. Add additional water, ½ teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency. About ¾ cup glaze.
Copyright 1995 Hershey Foods Corporation. Recipe may be reprinted courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens.
Meal-Master format courtesy of Karen Mintzias.