Yield: 10 Servings
|3||Heads garlic; cloves Peeled, heads intact|
|2 tablespoons||Olive oil|
|6 cups||Chicken broth; low fat|
|2||Whole chicken breasts; Boned and skinned; cut into 2-1/2-inch strips|
|1 pounds||Turkey sausage; cut into 2-Inch pieces|
|2 larges||Onions; chopped|
|2 larges||Red bell peppers; cored, Seeded and cut into 2-Inch pieces|
|4 mediums||Zucchini OR yellow squash OR eggplant; sliced|
|10||Cloves garlic; large, Cloves, sliced|
|3 cups||Rice; long-grain white|
|12||Plum tomatoes; cored and Sliced lengthwise|
|4||Sun-dried tomatoes packed In oil; drained and Julienned|
|½ cup||Whole green olives; Unpitted (French or Calif.)|
|1 cup||Parsley; fresh Italian, Chopped|
|½ teaspoon||Saffron threads|
|½ teaspoon||Crushed red pepper flakes|
|4||Ears fresh corn; husked And cut into 2-inch pieces|
1. Trim the tops off the garlic heads with a sharp knife. Place the garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and ½ cup of chicken broth in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, basting frequently or until the garlic is soft. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 350F.
3. Season the chicken on all sides with paprika. In a very large ovenproof skillet with 3-inch sides, heat the remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken on all sides, about 5 minutes altogether. Remove the chicken to a large plate and drain off the oil.
4. Brown the sausage on all sides in the skillet, about 8 minutes. Drain off the oil. Add to the chicken.
5. In the oil remaining in the skillet, saute the onion, pepper, zucchini and garlic until the vegetables start to brown slightly. Add the rice and stir until the rice starts to brown, about 5 minutes.
6. Add the plum tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and ½ cup parsley to the rice mixture.
7. Combine the saffron, salt, and red pepper flakes with the remaining chicken broth, and pour over the rice. Stir to combine and turn the heat to high.
8. Return the chicken and sausage to the skillet. Bury the whole garlic heads in the middle of the skillet, along with any chicken broth left in the saucepan. Bring to a boil.
9. Place the skillet immediately into the oven, uncovered, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the skillet; add the corn, pushing the pieces into the rice mixture. Return to the oven and bake for another 30 minutes.
10. Remove the skillet, sprinkle with remaining parsley, and serve immediately, directly from the skillet.
NOTE: Carefully lift the whole garlic heads and pass them at the table to spread on French bread.
Calories: 490 Carbohydrates: 70 g Protein: 3 g Cholesterol: 44 mg Fat/% Fat: 2 g/25% fat calories
Source: Great Good Food by Julee Rosso SUBMITTED BY: GAIL SHIPP 11 MAR 96 From: Danial Mannen Date: 05-03-96 Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 19:06:13 -0400 From: BobbieB1@...
MM-Recipes Digest V3 #175
From the MealMaster recipe list. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .