Yield: 4 Servings
|2 mediums||Tomatoes; peeled and chopped|
|½ cup||Tomato juice|
|1 small||Green pepper; finely chopped|
|1 small||Onion; finely chopped|
|1||Clove garlic; minced|
|⅛ teaspoon||Black pepper|
|2||Whole boned and skinned chicken breast halves; split|
|½ cup||Low-fat cottage or ricotta cheese|
|1 teaspoon||Parsley; minced|
|1 teaspoon||Parmesan cheese; grated|
|½ cup||Mozzarella cheese; shredded|
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring the tomatoes, tomato juice, green pepper, onion, garlic, salt , pepper and oregano to a boil over medium heat.
3. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 25 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, place each chicken breast between two sheets of wax paper and gently pound to a ¼ inch thickness with a meat mallet, a small heavy skillet or a rolling pin.
5. In a small bowl, combine the cottage cheese, egg yolk, parsley and Parmesan.
6. Spread 1 tablespoon of the mixture in the center of each chicken piece, leaving a ½ inch border all around. Roll up and set aside.
7. Spoon half the tomato sauce into an 8 inch pie plate. Arrange the chicken rolls on top, seam sides down.
8. Pour remaining tomato sauce over them and sprinkle with the shredded mozzarella. At this point the chicken rolls can be stored, covered with plastic in the refrigerator for up to 6 hours.
9. Bake, uncovered for 40 to 45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Recipe by: Readers Digest Cook Now, Serve Later, 1989 Posted to MC-Recipe Digest V1 #1025 by njwwb <njwwb@...> on Jan 20, 1998