Yield: 6 servings
|1⅓ cup||All-purpose flour|
|1 cup||Apples -- sliced thin|
|2 tablespoons||Almonds -- sliced|
|3 tablespoons||Apricot preserves -- or|
1. Sift the 1-⅓ cup flour with the salt into a large mixing bowl.
Cut in the solid margarine or butter with pastry blender until mixture is the size of small peas.
2. Sprinkle 4-5 tablespoons water, a little at a time, over the flour while stirring with a fork, until mixture is just moist enough to hold together.
3. Form into a square and flatten to ½ inch. Roll out on floured surface to 12 inch square. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Toss sliced apples with 1 tablespoon of flour. Place slices down center third of dough. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sugar over apples.
5. Fold up about ½ inch at each end. Fold sides over apples, leaving an inch of apples showing down center. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar and sliced almonds.
6. Bake in preheated 450-degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Spread immediately with preserves. If preferred, omit the preserves and frost with a thin glaze made of powdered sugar thinned with milk and vanilla or orange extract.
Recipe By : Jo Anne Merrill