Yield: 84 slices
|4 cups||To 4 1/2 C unsifted all- purpose flour|
|1 tablespoon||Baking powder|
|1 cup||(2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened|
|1 tablespoon||Vanilla extract|
|1 cup||Sliced natural almonds|
|1 cup||Slivered blanched almonds|
1. Heat oven to 325'F. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets. In md-size bowl, combine 4 C flour, the baking powder, and salt and set aside.
2. In large bowl, with electric mixer on md speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Separate 1 egg, placing egg white in a C , then set aside. Add egg yolk and vanilla to butter mixture and beat well.
3. Reduce mixer speed to low; gradually beat flour mixture into butter mixture until well blended. With spoon, stir in both types of nuts. If dough is too soft to shape, stir in some of remaining ½ C flour.
Divide dough into 6 equal pieces.
4. Shape each piece into an 8- by 2-inch log and place across large baking sheet. Brush with reserved egg white.
5. Bake logs 30 minutes or until firm and golden brown. Transfer logs to cutting board. Reduce oven temperature to 250'F. Using seffated knife and a sawing motion, cut each log diagonally into ½-inch-thick slices. Arrange slices cut side down on baking sheets.
6. Bake slices 15 minutes, turning once, or until dry on the surface.
Cool slices on wire rack and store in airtight container.
Country Living/Oct/93 Scanned & fixed by DP & GG