Yield: 4 Servings
|¼ pounds||Peastarch noodles|
|½ pounds||Lean beef|
|2 tablespoons||Soy sauce|
1. Soak peastarch noodles (vermicelli).
2. Shred beef. Cut soaked noodles in 3-inch lengths.
3. Combine soy sauce, sherry, salt and sugar.
4. Heat oil. Add beef and stir-fry until it loses its redness. Add soy sauce mixture and stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove beef from pan.
5. Heat remaining oil. Add soaked noodles and stir-fry a few times to coat with oil. Return beef, add water, and bring quickly to a boil. Cook, covered, over medium heat, until liquid is absorbed (about 5 minutes).
NOTE: This dish may be prepared in advance and reheated over a low flame.
(Add another ¼ cup cold water if necessary.) VARIATIONS: In step 3, add the soy sauce mixture to shredded beef and toss. Pick up step 4. In step 5, substitute 1 cup stock for the water and cook, covered, 10 minutes over low heat. Then return the beef along with 1 scallion, minced, and stir in to reheat. (You may also add 2 eggs, beaten; stir them in at the very end, over low heat, until they begin to set.) In step 3, add 1 cup water to the soy sauce mixture. At the end of step 4, do not remove beef fromcpan, but add 4 to 6 dried black mushrooms (soaked) and 1 cup Chinese cabbage stems, both shredded. Stir-fry a few times. Then add the soy-water mixture and vermicelli and simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .