Yield: 4 Servings
|1 pounds||Chicken livers|
|½ cup||Soy sauce|
|3 slices||Fresh ginger root|
|2||Cloves star anise|
1. Boil water and pour over chicken livers. Stir a few times, then drain.
Rinse quickly with cold water and drain again.
2. In a saucepan, combine soy sauce, sherry, sugar and remaining water; bring slowly to a boil.
3. Meanwhile cut scallion in ½-inch sections; shred ginger root. Then add to pan along with livers, star anise and peppercorns. Heat quickly; then simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
4. Turn off heat. Let stand 5 minutes more, without removing lid. Drain, discarding sauce.
5. Refrigerate livers to chill. Cut in bite-size pieces and serve.
NOTE: When preparing this dish a day or two ahead, refrigerate the livers in sauce until ready to serve. VARIATIONS: 1. For the peppercorns, substitute ¼ teaspoon crushed red peppers.
2. Omit step 1. Combine steps 2 and 3, adding all the ingredients to saucepan, except the water. Bring to a boil, gently stirring. Then add the water and bring to a boil again. Pick up steps 4 and 5.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .