Yield: 4 Servings
|3 larges||Vidalia onions; cut in wedges|
|3 tablespoons||Vegetable oil|
|1 teaspoon||Minced garlic|
|17 ounces||Chicken broth|
|1 tablespoon||Fresh thyme|
|1 \N||Bay leaf|
|⅛ teaspoon||Ground red pepper|
|2 tablespoons||Chopped chives|
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Place a 13x9x2 inch baking pan in oven for 5 minutes.
2. Add onions: sprinkle with oil, stirring to coat.
3. Bake uncovered, until onions are very tender and golden, stirring twice, about 50 minutes. Stir in garlic; bake until garlic softens slightly, about 5. Add chicken broth, thyme, bay leaf, and red pepper: stir to combine.
6. Cover tightly with foil: bake 20 minutes to blend flavors.
7. Remove foil and bay leaf; cool slightly. Place half in the bowl of a food processor or in a container of an electric blender; process until onions are coarsely pureed; repeat with remaining mixture. Serve hot, garnished with chives.
Variation: Cream of Roasted Vidalia Onion Soup: Just before serving stir ⅓ cup warm heavy cream into the pureed soup.
Formatted and Busted by RecipeLU Posted to recipelu-digest by RecipeLu <recipelu@...> on Mar 13, 1998