Yield: 1 servings
|1 tablespoon||Vegetable oil|
|10||Chicken thighs; (or you can use breasts if you prefer)|
|2||Stalks celery; chopped|
|1||Carrot; cut into matchstick julienne|
|1 medium||Onion; chopped|
|2||Cloves garlic; finely chopped|
|2 cans||(15-1/4 ounce) chicken broth|
|Freshly ground black pepper to taste|
|½ teaspoon||Saffron threads|
|1 cup||Pastry flour or soft wheat all-purpose flour|
|1½ teaspoon||Baking powder|
|2 tablespoons||Vegetable shortening or margarine|
|½ cup||Finely chopped flat-leaf parsley; for garnish|
Cost: $ - Preparation Time: 20 minutes Difficulty Level: 2 Servings: 4 1. In a large Dutch oven, warm the oil over medium heat for 1 minute.
2. Add the chicken thighs, skin side down, and brown for about 5 minutes per side.
3. Remove them from the pan and add the celery, carrot, onion, garlic and paprika.
4. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
5. Add the broth and water, then return the chicken to the pan.
6. Pepper generously.
7. Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, make and refrigerate the dumpling dough.
9. In a mug in the microwave, or on the stove over medium heat, warm the milk and saffron threads for 1 minute. The milk will turn yellow.
10. In a food processor, or using your fingers, process the flour, baking powder, and shortening for 30 seconds.
11. Remove the blade from the bowl and use a wooden spoon to gently mix in the saffron milk.
12. Gather the dough into a ball and flatten it out to a 1-inch-thick disk.
13. Cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it until 20 minutes before serving time.
14. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and use a sharp knife to cut it into 12 rectangular pieces.
15. Fifteen minutes before serving, slip the dumplings into the simmering soup.
16. Cover and cook just under the boil.
17. After about 15 minutes, the dumplings will float to the top, and will be puffed and cooked through.
18. Carefully ladle the soup, 2 thighs, and 3 dumplings into each soup bowl.
19. Garnish each serving with a little chopped parsley.
Source: Stylish One-Dish Dinners (Random House, 1999) Posted to The Gourmet Connection Recipe Page Newsletter by newsletter@... on May 16, 1999, converted by MM_Buster v2.0l.