Yield: 6 Servings
|\N \N||Filling mixture|
1. Prepare "Filling for Egg Pouch Omelets" (see recipe). Place conveniently near the stove.
2. Beat eggs. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Lightly grease a 4-inch skillet (or a wok) with a drop of oil, and heat to the crackling point. Then pour in 1 tablespoon of beaten egg.
4. Rotate pan so egg forms a thin layer at the bottom. Cook quickly until bottom sets but upper surface is still moist. Then reduce heat to medium.
5: Scoop up 1 teaspoon of filling and place over egg. Fold egg in half to make a semi-circular pouch; then press lightly along the edges with a spatula to seal in filling.
6. Let cook ½ minute to brown lightly. Turn over and lightly brown the other side (about ½ minute more).
7. Repeat process until eggs and filling mixture are used up, re-oiling the skillet as necessary. Keep omelets warm in the top of a double boiler until all are cooked. Serve on a bed of lettuce strips or surrounded by stir-fried spinach.
NOTE: These tiny stuffed omelets are also called egg dumplings or egg pockets. They may be prepared in advance and frozen, then reheated, without thawing, by being steamed for 10 minutes. They're excellent as party snacks. VARIATIONS:
1. Instead of using a skillet, grease a Chinese ladle (with a wooden handle) and hold it directly over the flame to heat. Cook the egg right in it, add the stuffing and fold egg in two. Then flip egg over with chopsticks to cook the other side.
2. Make the omelets larger by using 2 tablespoons of beaten egg and 1 tablespoon of filling. For easier handling, the filling can be shaped in 1-inch balls before adding it to eggs.
3. Cook omelets stuffed with pork as follows: a. For smaller omelets: When all the omelets are browned, add 3 tablespoons water and cook over medium heat until liquid is absorbed.
b. For larger omelets: When all the omelets are browned, simmer 5 to 10 minutes in ½ cup stock, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and ½ teaspoon sugar.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .