Yield: 4 Servings
|1 \N||(2-lb) fish|
|2 slices||Fresh ginger root|
|1 teaspoon||Soy sauce|
|\N \N||Sweet-and-pungent sauce|
|\N \N||Oil for deep-frying|
1. Have fish cleaned and scaled, then split.
2. Mince onion and ginger root; then combine with salt, pepper, soy sauce and sherry. Rub mixture over fish, inside and out. Let stand 30 minutes.
3. Dredge fish lightly in cornstarch. Let stand 5 minutes more.
4. Meanwhile prepare a sweet-and-pungent sauce (see recipes). Keep warm.
5. Heat oil. Add fish and deep-fry, turning and basting, until golden.
Drain on paper toweling. Then transfer to a serving platter.
6. Pour sweet-and-pungent sauce over and serve. VARIATION: In step 2, coat fish with a mixture of 4 tablespoons cornstarch, 2 tablespoons sherry, 2 tablespoons soy sauce and 1 teaspoon ginger juice. Omit step 3.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .