Yield: 1 Servings
|Tomato Sauce (Recipe follows)|
|8||Fresh poblano or Anaheim chilies|
|Picadillo Filling (Recipe follows)|
|⅓ cup||All-purpose flour|
|¼ teaspoon||Cream of tartar|
|Pimiento-stuffed green olives for garnish|
|1½ pounds||Tomatoes (peeled and seeded)|
|1 medium||White onion; chopped|
|1||Clove garlic; chopped|
|2 tablespoons||Vegetable oil|
|1½ cup||Chicken broth|
|½ teaspoon||Dried thyme leaves; crushed|
|1 tablespoon||Vegetable oil|
|¼ cup||Slivered almonds|
|¾ pounds||Ground beef|
|¼ cup||Finely chopped white onion|
|1 large||Tomato; peeled, seeded, finely chopped|
|1 tablespoon||Tomato paste|
|1||Clove garlic; minced|
|2 tablespoons||Thinly sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives|
|1 tablespoon||Cider vinegar|
|1 teaspoon||Dark brown sugar|
|¼ teaspoon||Ground cinnamon|
|⅛ teaspoon||Ground cumin|
|⅛ teaspoon||Ground cloves|
1. Prepare tomato sauce.
2. Roast, peel, seed and devein chilies leaving stems intact and taking care not to break chilies.
3. Prepare Picadillo filling.
4. Carefully spoon about ¼ cup Picadillo filling into each chili; press chilies firmly between hands to ease out air and to close.
5. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Heat 1 inch oil in deep, heavy skillet over medium-high heat to 375 degrees; adjust heat to maintain temperature. Line baking sheet with paper towels. 6. Roll each chili in flour to coat lightly; pat off excess. Reserve remaining flour, about ¼ cup. 7. Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in large bowl with electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Beat egg yolks in medium bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until thick and lemon colored.
Gradually beat reserved flour into egg yolk until smooth. Fold ¼ of egg whites into yolk mixture; fold in remaining egg whites until blended.
8. To coat each chili with egg batter, grasp stems; support bottom of chili with fork. Dip into batter to coat; let excess drain off.
9. Immediately slip chili into oil. Fry 4 minutes or untl deep gold; turning once. Remove with slotted spatula; drain on paper towels. Keep warm in oven.
10. Reheat tomato sauce over medium heat. Spoon sauce on plates; arrange chilies on plates. Garnish, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
1. Place tomatoes, onion and garlic in blender; process until smooth.
2. Heat oil in deep, large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add tomato mixture; cook and stir 5 minutes.
3. Stir broth, thyme and salt into skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook and stir 10-15 minutes until sauce has thickened slightly. Remove from heat; set aside. Makes about 2 cups.
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add almonds; cook and stir 2-3 minutes until golden. Remove; drain on paper towels.
2. Crumble beef into skillet. Brown beef 5 minutes; stir often. Add onion; continued in part 2