Yield: 4 Servings
|1 \N||(1.5-2 pound) lobster|
|\N \N||Oil for deep-frying|
1. Clean and shell lobster. Cut meat in ½-inch cubes.
2. Beat egg lightly and blend to a batter with cornstarch, water and salt.
Dip lobster cubes in batter to coat.
3. Heat oil. Add lobster cubes, a few at a time, and deep-fry about ½ minute. Then reduce heat to medium and deep-fry until golden. Drain on paper toweling.
4. Arrange lobster on a bed of shredded lettuce, sprinkle with pepper and serve. VARIATIONS:
1. After step 1, marinate lobster cubes in a mixture of 2 tablespoons sherry, 1 tablespoon oyster or soy sauce, and 2 slices fresh ginger root, minced. Let stand 30 minutes, tossing cubes occasionally; then drain, discarding marinade. Pick up step 2.
2. After step 1, wrap each lobster cube in half a strip of bacon. Pick up step
2. In step 2, for the cornstarch batter, substitute either of the following:
a. 2 eggs, lightly beaten, and ¾ cup flour. (If necessary, add a few drops of water to thin.)
b. 2 eggs, lightly beaten; ¼ cup flour; ¼ cup water-chestnut flour; ½ teaspoon salt; and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .