Yield: 8 servings
|1 cup||All-purpose flour|
|1 teaspoon||Baking powder|
|1 teaspoon||Ground cinnamon|
|¼ teaspoon||Ground nutmeg|
|1 quart||Vanilla ice cream|
* Have ice cream slightly softened. Use only a very good quality applesauce that is not too thin.
1. Line a greased 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan with waxed paper; grease paper.
2. Place eggs in a mixing bowl; beat at high speed for 5 minutes.
Gradually beat in sugar and ½ cup applesauce.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, ¾ teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together. Blend flour mixture into egg mixture, using low speed.
Spread batter in pan.
4. Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for 15 minutes or until cake is lightly browned and springs back when pressed gently. Sprinkle kitchen towel with powdered sugar; immediately invert cake onto towel.
5. Remove waxed paper; roll cake and towel together from narrow end.
Let cake completely cool.
6. Unroll cake, trimming edges if desired. Remove from towel and spread with softened ice cream; re-roll. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap or foil and freeze.
7. Blend remaining 1-½ cups applesauce and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon.
Chill. When ready to serve, cut roll into slices and top each slice with chilled applesauce. Serve with whipped cream if desired.
Recipe By : Jo Anne Merrill